Well, it was quite an interesting Grammy awards this year. Im really proud of Akron’s own The Black Keys and Dan Auerbach, and congratulations to them for winning tonight! Prince giving out Record of the Year to Gotye was an amazing moment, but I really had hoped Prince was performing. Maybe next year since he is releasing new music (Check out “Breakfast Can Wait”). Here is a run down of my thoughts on the performances, red carpet looks and random moments from the night:
1. The Bob Marley Tribute. Aside from the fact I love Bruno Mars, think he’s incredibly talented and would love to have his babies, pairing him with Sting was genius. Then to add Rihanna and Bob’s sons Ziggy and Damian…phenomenal. I was dancing around the living room to it!!
2. The Weight; the Levon Helm Tribute. I usually get a lil choked up when I hear The Weight, but this stunning tribute to Helm which featured Elton John, Mumford & Sons, Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes) & Mavis Staples was so well done I cried. And Mavis Staples proved she still has it!
3. Kelly Clarkson; Patti Page/Carole King Tribute. Clearly the tributes won big time in my book. But that aside Kelly proved why she is the highest grossing American Idol singer and that she doesn’t need to ever lip-sync. Love. Her.
4. The Black Keys with Dr. John. Our Akron boys kick ass. Period.
5. Jack White with a lot of awesome musicians. He just continues to surprise, entertain and amaze me.
1. Justin Timberlake & Jay-Z. Like every other woman on the planet I was beyond excited for JT sexy self to return. Overall the performance was good, but it didn’t blow me away.
2. Carrie Underwood. Speaking of blown away, Carrie performed the hit which vocally was killer. Spot on, flawless. BUT the wedding dress that kept changing graphics…um…weird. I get what they were trying to do visually, but I couldnt get past her upper body moving and her bottom part not. Just weird.
3. Maroon 5 and Alicia Keys. It wasn’t bad. Vocally strong (especially Ms. Keys), but over all didn’t excite me.
4. fun. I thought it was a fun performance and loved the rain effect. Don’t understand the capri’s, but whatever.
1. Frank Ocean. Good grief. All I hear is how great he is. I, being the music snob I can be, have surprisingly not checked him out yet so this was my first impression. Yes, I missed the infamous SNL performance. So, first impression was not good. Off key, boring and anti-climatic. And why is he singing about Forrest Gump? I don’t get it.
2. Taylor Swift. Just make it stop. The only thing worse would’ve been Carly Rae Jepsen.
3. Miranda Lambert and Dierks Bentley. I hate to put them in the Bad category cause I’m such a fan of them, but it was a rough performance. They’ll do better next time I’m sure.
1. Jennifer Lopez. Suck it dress code and Angie’s leg! All hail the queen!
2. Katy Perry. Her boobs getting the attention in that dress was like J Lo in the infamous Versace dress all over again. And nice nod to Priscilla Presley.
3. Nicole Kidman. She looks amazing in gold and happily in love with the sexy Keith Urban.
4. Justin Timberlake, I don’t think I need to explain why.
5. Kimbra. She looked so ethereal and sweet.
6. Chrissy Teigen and John Legend. One of the hottest couples ever, and her black dress was gorgeous!
7. Kelly Rowland. That dress was insane. Complete perfection. And it makes me want to work-out hardcore.
8. Faith Hill. The perfect black cocktail dress.
9. Bonnie Raitt. She looked amazing in her pantsuit. She is aging gracefully.
10. Joan Osbourne. Yes, you read that right. She walked the red carpet in a beautiful yellow gown and looks exactly like she did in the mid-90s when she was at the GRAMMYs for One Of Us.
11. Janelle Monae. Girl has got the best personal style since Gwen Stefani came on the scene. Great pantsuit and pompadour.
12. Rihanna. She looked elegant in her red Azzedine Alaia gown.
13. Florence Welch. Modern day Shirley Manson in a killer green gown.
14. Miranda Lambert. Loved the color and fit of the gown and want her earrings so bad!
15. Beyonce. Risky, edgy and looked so comfortable.
1. Taylor Swift. The grecian dress was divine on her, but the hair looked ratty.
2. Adele. I know everyone hated her dress, but I didn’t think it was terrible. The color was fabulous on her and her hair/make-up was perfect. It was just too busy of a print.
3. Carrie Underwood. The Roberto Cavalli dress was great on her, the necklace (how many carats is that?!) was fabulous on her, I just hated it together.
4. Estelle. It is a cool, funky dress, but like Adele its just too busy.
1. Carly Rae Jepsen. This Roberto Cavalli did nothing for her and her hair bored me.
2. The Dream. Seriously, lose the “Swap Meat” hat.
3. Lisa D’Amato. I don’t even know why she was there and why she would wear that dress.
1. Prince giving Gotye their Record of the Year award, and telling them he’s a fan of the song
2. Jay-Z calling out The-Dream for his “Swap Meat” hat
3. Kelly Clarkson giving one of the best Grammy speeches of all-time.
4. LL Cool J, Tom Morello, Travis Barker, Z-Trip and Chuck D closed out the show with “Whaddup”
5. DJ Al Waser walking the carpet in a space suit.
Overall I’d give this years GRAMMYs a 8 out of 10. What did you think of this years’ awards?
*All photos from Rolling Stone.