A fun, more fearless 2013 is a great (though very Cosmo way) of describing this past year. Entering the new decade, I feel more enlightened and proud of what I’ve both succeeded and failed at. One of the absolute biggest highlights of the year was finding out I’m going to be an Aunt! Khloe will be born at the start of 2014 so I already have something big to look forward to!
But before I start getting into the excitement of the new year, here is a look back at my 2013.
There are Goals for the year and general bucket list that I finally accomplished this year (in no particular order):
1. Made it to California!
*It only took 30 years, but I made it out west & loved it! I have a fear of flying, but when I boarded the plane I was beyond excited and ready to get to the other side of the country. And to finally see my best friend in person for the first time in three years! The trip was not only a much-needed vacation and girl time, but being away from it all gave me a chance to focus on myself and reassess my wants and needs in life.
2. Stand Up Paddle Boarding!
*I have visualized getting up on the board for a few years now, but between life happening and Cleveland weather I hadn’t had a chance. Then this year my friend Norm helped get up on a board and accomplish another goal. Being out on Lake Erie, just me on the board, paddling further from the shore…I can’t fully put into words how it feels. I just felt…free. And like Gidget.
3. Became An Anchor!
*After spending a year happily as a reporter and producing and hosting my show Listen Up Cleveland for TV20 I was completely shocked when I returned from California to get the news from my boss that I was being promoted to Anchor! All those years as a kid playing Murphy Brown, Oprah and Today Show has officially paid off.
4. Go to Therapy.
*Entering my 30’s I felt it was time to face any and all baggage and issues I’ve been facing or holding on to. BEST DECISION EVER. You know, we go for yearly physical check-ups, but never the mental and emotional kind. I feel better and stronger for going on a few sessions. If you have been contemplating it, I highly recommend you go. You are not weak for going, you are brave. Anyone that tells you otherwise clearly is someone who needs time in the chair themselves.
5. Ran My First 5k.
*If you happen to have read my blog about my Marathon experience then you know it was something I never thought I would get to do. Not only do I still feel so proud of myself for doing it, I’m already planning more 5k’s (and possibly move on up to 10) in 2014!
Then there were the fabulous, random life experiences that happened. (Again, in no particular order)
1. I turned 30! (ok, so that’s not random, but it is fabulous!)
2. Andy Cohen read my tweet on air during his show Watch What Happens!
3. As if that wasn’t nerdy enough for you: Michael Bolton, Cindi Leive, Kristen Dos Santos all tweeted me this year. I still am over the moon about Bolton. And he did it to me twice 😉
4. Finally met Cleveland legend Michael Stanley!
5. I made it in All About Beer Magazine with the pics my friend Michael Krokey took from the World of Beer event I covered. And they loved my news piece so much they want to use it for promotional purposes. Double Score!
6. When in California I took Cardio Barre with Minnie Driver and never knew it. Shows that A) celebs really do just blend in out in Cali and B) I really am oblivious half the time cause I live in my own world.
7. I got to be an extra in the new Katie Holmes movie and filmed my scene with Designing Woman herself-Jean Smart! Look for my possible cameo in Miss Meadows in 2014!
8. I dressed up as Lisa Loeb in the ‘Stay’ video for Halloween and tagged her in my pic and she totally Instagrammed it to her followers.
9. Made it on the side of RTA buses with my TV20 family!
10. When I was at the Burning River Fest Tower City Lights turned purple just for me 🙂
11. Finally saw KEM perform and met him!
12. Plunged into the frozen waters of Lake Erie for the Polar Bear Plunge
But the most important are the life & love lessons I’ve learned:
1. Look at things from other angles.
*I have been guilty as charged at only looking at my own perspective. Not at all things, I am a very compassionate person, but when it comes to my issues or personal dilemmas I only see it from my perspective. My hurt or angry feelings. Someone can say something and it can mean a few different things, it’s all in how you look at it. I was only ever looking at one side and not the other angles. This lesson has changed my perspective in a big way.
2. If you want something bad enough, you’ll find a way. If not, you’ll find an excuse.
*When I’ve wanted to accomplish something, see someone, be at an event…When Ive really wanted it I found a way. When I didn’t care all that much (or let fear take hold) I’d find an excuse. And though I already knew that about myself, it was this year I started seeing it with others. Eyes wide open from this quote and applying it to relationships- not just business and goals.
3. Others problems are not your own.
*If you read my blog piece last year about getting rid of energy vampires then you know this has been a struggle for me. I feel others emotions. Their vibes good or bad radiate to me and it can start to affect my mood. Its part of the reason I always try to be a happy, optimistic person. I want to radiate that and make people want to be that way too. But I have to finally come to terms that just really isn’t always the case. And one of the biggest challenges I’ve faced this year is I can’t solve everyone’s problems or make everyone happy.
4. The power of letting go.
*Letting go of people and dreams are both so scary, but I’ve learned how freeing it can be to let go and let God. I haven’t fully accomplished this yet. It’s definitely a process when you’re a bit of a control freak that wants to save the world, but I’m getting there.
I’m sure there are other big accomplishments, fun adventures and things I’ve learned that I’m forgetting (or choosing to keep to myself), but here is at least a taste of 2013 in the Life of Leah*. Thank you so much for reading and following (and if you don’t already follow, please do cause there will be a lot more to come in 2014!). I wish you a new year filled with Love, Adventure, Peace, Prosperity and most of all….Happiness. God Bless. XOXO, Leah*